Before you start contacting these companies, it is important that you find out as much as you can about what they do. Here are some ideas on how to do this.
- Phone the receptionist. Tell her you are doing some research and you need some information about their company. Ask if they have any brochures or leaflets they can send you.
- Visit the company at closing time. Try and talk to some of the people as they are leaving. Approach people politely.
- Read trade magazines, business sections in the newspapers and other publications.
- Phone industrial associations and ask them where you can get information.
- Talk to your friends and family, maybe they know someone who works for the company or who can give you information about the company. Or maybe they could think of interesting ways to get information.
- Find out who their advertising agency is. Make an appointment and go and see them. They should be able to help.
When you have this information, you will be able to decide whether you are going to contact the company or not.